Monday, January 8, 2007

Storknet post

The entry before this one, I said that I had posted a question on my parenting board (Storknet) and that I'd post it here and some of the answeres I received. I had asked about excercise and calories and, well here it is, see for yourself.

Ok. I'm trying to lose weight. I'm doing it the old fashioned way. Hard work, determination, diet and excercise. Well, I've always heard that you'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume. If you consume 1,000 calories in a day, how in the hello are you going to burn 1,001 or more in a day? Now I'm not asking that question if you're small enough to blow away in a strong wind and run tri-atholons or anything. I'm asking for people like me, who are significantly overweight and any kind of excercise at all is challenging. Not to mention I have a bad back and just walking on a treadmill is painful. I walked a mile last night and burned a little over 80 calories. I consumed just under 1,000. This morning I walked .5 mile and burned 42.5 calories. That's the equivalent to just a little more than a tsp. of peanut butter. How am I going to lose any weight at this rate? I plan on walking more today, but still.... Probably won't burn 1000 calories worth. What else can I do, or do I have my facts right?
The women over there are some of the best I know. They gave me a lot of good information. A lot of the things they told me, I knew, but just hadn't really thought about it. For instance, they helped me realize that I'm not eating enough. For my size I need to eat between 1300-1500 calories a day. Well, I'm going to try for 1300, and that will be tough enough. They told me about maintnance calories. Still need to do some research on that one, but from what I gather, those are the calories that we burn by just living life. So that, I'm sure, will help with the my original question. They told me about how many calories I'd need to burn to lose a pound, they suggested getting a pedometer (which I have one, and will have to find it) to keep track of how much I walk during just an average day. They gave me this site, http://www.am-i-fat.com/calmaintain.html , to figure out how many calories I must maintain to stay the weight I am. I'm telling you.... If you think they're this supportive on weightloss issues, just imagine how supportive they are with parenting issues. It's a wonderful message board and an even better group of women. I would encourage any parent or grandparent to join. Well, so much for my plug for Storknet :-) Seriously though, some of those women got me through some of hardest times of my life.
That's all I have for now. Besides, my next group of kids are coming.
Until next time...

No comments: